Saturday, September 22, 2007

Big score

Today the wife and I went to our usual haunt of Homesense. Our mission was to acquire a few more fry pans which we can abuse (ie. dishwasher) without concern as we're cooking a lot more often these days (breakfast/lunch/dinner) and Britgal hates using my cookware as it cannot go into the dishwasher.

So we found two new pans (one small one large) which look nice enough and should work fine. We also found a food mill! I've been looking all over the place for a good quality food mill (not those nasty baby ones made of plastic or motorized ones). But of all the kitchen stores I've been too, those that have one (and they are rare) are asking 100$ for it... crazy!

So for 39.99 I got an OXO Good Grips food mill and I'm quite impressed with it's build quality (most of the OXO goodgrip stuff is top notch IMHO). It's going to be used to make our baby food (I've got some super books from Britgal's mum from the UK) as well as make some awesome tomato sauce, or fruit sauces. I'll likely give it a whirl with some of the seasonal tomatoes in the stores this weekend and either make a soup or a sauce... not sure. In either case, an incredible find! They also have a HUGE collection of real LeCreuset dutch ovens/pots. While they are 100$ a pop, they are very nice and I had to restrain myself as I have 3 cooking vessels of similar nature (not LeCreuset, but french made). Britgal reminded me that I do not need more heavy cookware :)

Tomorrow is going to be some card playing with they usual suspects, and I'm looking forward to it as it will be good clean fun (well... fun anyways). I hope I do well.. the sheer number of people going is making me wonder what my odds are going to be like.

No comments: